Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, September 5

The night I was a dead hipster

Last week, on a THURSDAY nonetheless, my friends and I went out on the town. Mark going out on a school night as things I swing as an English major that I could never do while being pre-med. I swear, it's a whole different life- and by that I mean, there is a life to be had apart from the papers due every two weeks! In Missoula there is this well known thing known as the "Dead Hipster" party at a club downtown which I suppose does attract the occasional hipster and to my dismay, I discovered that in fact a hipster is not sacrificed to the Gods nor is there a dead hipster at the center of the dance floor. So. Whatever. It was actually quite the evening and a fair introduction to the 21 life in Missoula. Boys shorter than you asking to go to the bathroom WITH you when you try to get away from them, shots expelled from the stage straight out of the bottle, a dance-off with your very homosexual friend witha boyfriend that created a circle of people around you chanting- exactly the kind of scene you'd expect me to be at, I'm sure. Maggie!? At a club?

Here's the thing: I'm somewhat confused by the fact that it seems like most bloggers can't mention the words "alcohol" or "drunk" on their blogs (unless it's a fancy twee drink or something). Am I any less of a blogger and/or person because oh em gee, I may have drunk before and I go out semi-frequently? Why is this such a taboo topic? It doesn't mean it's a main source of blog content that I should talk about weekly because it's obviously not something I do frequently enough to make up a big part of my life but even so, I would hope even that choice could be something a blogger could be respected for if it was less of a hush hush topic. Not that I want to read about it constantly, either, but there are exhausted topics I get sick of and sometimes I wonder what these bloggers do on Friday and Saturday nights. For what it's worth, I respect everyone equally no matter how they decide to spend their weekends. 

So, yeah. I'm very intrigued about this general topic in the blogging world. And since this is a blog about my life, I should think that one post representing the occasional night I go out won't kill anyone.

Anyways, I had a blast with five of my favorite people in Missoula that I met through my Intramural soccer team as freshmen/sophomores. These are people I've been friends with for almost three years now and played casual soccer with for that long, too. One of the things I'm so glad that I did as an underclassmen was get involved in the Intramural program on campus because I never would have met these people that were outside my major otherwise. 

I can't believe it's senior year. College flies. One second you're a senior in high school and then you're 21 and blogging about drinking. Oy vey!
dh8292013-116 dh8292013-109

13 comments:

Abbey said...

I wonder about the drinking thing on blogs too! Awesome photos!

Kaili at impeccablykaili said...

I was actually just writing my thoughts on the taboos of drinking and other things on blogs and with certain people in my journal today. I guess I don't really understand why people should have such a problem with it being mentioned. It doesn't really effect them in anyway.

Shawnee said...

I always think about this too!! So silly, really. I think you're cool though. Rock on

sydney said...

personally i only drink homemade old fashioneds out of a mason jar that my hubby made me, but you just do you. ALSO GIMME THAT DRESS OMG.

Lyndsey said...

you are the cutest thing ever and you were the first one i noticed in the photo. actually, I am glad that you're honest and up front about your life, and since this is a blog about your real life, it doesn't hurt to show it. people really like to see what's going on, well, atleast I do. that way it's easier to connect to the blogger themselves. I don't go out and drink/party, but if I did go to a dance club I'm pretty sure I'd post pictures of what I wore there, because inside I'm sure I'd be a straight up sweaty mess because I LOVE DANCING so no time for photos for me;)

we aren't here to judge, just love one another and be happy for that person that they're enjoying life while they can :). I respect you in all your ways mags. You're a genius and a heart full of teddy bears, if that makes any sense at all (but you know it does in every way) ;) xoxoxoxo

Mary said...

yeah seriously! going out -- the dancing, the drinking, the friends, the music -- is fun stuff! some friday nights are happily spent with tea and biscuits and crafts and the whole blogosphere type stuff (which in reality, i think we can admit we do enjoy), but other friday nights are spent raging -- b/c, you know what, that's totally enjoyable too. kudos, mags.

Emma Jane said...

I know what you mean about the lack of parties on blogs. Don't get me wrong. I love the well written, beautifully photographed blog posts that make up the majority of my blogs but I wanna know which of these adorable humans is out getting freaky on a friday night! Glad to see I'm not the only blogger who does enjoy the occasional night out on the town!

Also I know exactly what you mean by how weird time flies. One second you and your best friend are 16 and so excited to get licenses and the next you are 21 getting shots together. What even?

Em
Tightrope to the Sun

carly said...

thank you for this! i'll admit that i rarely blog about it because a) i just don't go out enough to do so and, b) i'll just confess right now that i'm not the most active life-blogger. but! it's like everyone else said- you can have your peaceful nights, and then you have those nights where you just wanna dance! why not talk about it? enjoy your senior year to its fullest!

Dillon said...

Thank you for addressing the topic of partying/drinking! So many of us are of the age where, lets be honest, it's not uncommon for us to do so. If you want to blog about, you SHOULD be able to, right? It's such a dilemma because it's your place to write where there shouldn't be judgement, yet you probably think "who all reads this, and do I want them to know about this."
You go girl.

Shelby said...

girl, you are just the best! i totally agree with this whole thing. this is YOUR place, and you should be able to talk about whatever the heck you want! i personally don't drink, but that doesn't mean i get offended by people that do. just know there is one person out there that could care less, even though i don't drink or WHATEVER! and lesbihonest.... aren't club stories like THE BEST stories?! like, i am pretty sure there is never a dull experience at a club. soo share with us lady!!

Janine said...

When you mentioned it as a taboo topic in the blog world, I couldn't help but think about Whitney from "I Wore Yoga Pants", since it seems that many of her adventures involve drinking (I don't mean that in a bad way, heh). Maybe it's the type of blogs that you are reading, because there does seem to be a group of 20-something single bloggers out there who do enjoy going out and having fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful photos ;)

I follow you beautiful blog. I hope you will follow me back and I will wait for you in my blog www.gabusiek.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

These shots are so much fun, I love them!!

Xo, Hannah

sweetsweetnoir.net