things i've learned lately:
- don't keep every spare key you own on your primary key ring with all your other valuable keys when your mom is driving your car. she WILL lock your car keys in your car while on a road trip and a lock smith WILL have to be called and to top it all off, the car WILL still be running when she does this. at least the car was adequately warmed up nearly an hour later...?
- if you have nothing to say, just don't blog. the feeling is better than anything and eventually the 'oh my gosh i haven't blogged in two days' eye twitch DOES go away (i'm afraid to say i actually forgot about blogging for the past three days completely and holy crap, it was a lovely internet free vacation.)
- when you're afraid of saying something, that usually means it's that much MORE important to talk about. and it's not as scary as you play it out to be in your head. or at least, it IS that scary, but it might turn out you weren't the only one thinking it.
- ALWAYS spontaneously buy plane tickets to visit your grandma. you'll do it far too quickly and book the cheapest flight without much of a glance at the total trip duration and accidentally wind up with a 7 hour layover in colorado on the return trip. and the best thing that could ever happen will happen which is an inevitable blog meetup with your soulmate. (still po-ed that the salt lake city airline tickets were TRIPLE what the denver connecting flight tickets were, though, because in a perfect world i could have arranged my layovers in both places and hit up two bloggers!? is this getting obsessive!? too convenient!?)
- just when you don't think the job Gods are going to grant you with a 15 hours per week part time minimum wage of a gift, you'll score a job interview. don't. give. up. hope. keep sending your resume, schedule, and references in a single email thanking them exactly three times in each to every single job employer on the student employment website because you will get emails back and one will result in a follow up interview! (but now i have an interview to prepare for, pray for me please.)
- if you're anywhere near an urban outfitters during their 'additional 50% off clearance sticker price' GET YOUR BUM THERE. even if it means wearing sweats tucked into your winter sorel boots and unwashed hair. do i talk about the state of my unwashed hair too frequently? ... in all honesty, i've averaging a shower every 2.25 days on winter vacation. the fact that i use dry shampoo and if i ever met one of you on a blog meet up i promise i would be freshly showered should ease your minds, though.
- when you get to the point on your four mile run you literally call your mom nearly in tears because your OHMYGOSH *huge* blister is about to pop, your calves have turned to rock, and the frigid 3 degree weather burns your throat with every inhale, JUST KEEP RUNNING. you will complete your run when she doesn't answer and you will live to blog about it.
- when your grandmother provides unsolicited advice on your new hair dye that isn't so new anymore but still refuses to let go of (the words "sickly" and "malnourished" were involved) and your state of singleness (the phrase "when i was your age i had several serious boyfriends i could have married" was used), it's best to have both someone on hand a text away to retell every horrendous comment and a plate full of her cookies to stuff your mouth with. some sassy comments weren't repressed, however, and for that i advise a full night's sleep. rookie mistake, really.
- three year old's give the best hugs. and kisses. and wake up calls. and take the best pictures.